We are not only health and mind conscious on this trip, but also budget conscious! Obviously… I’m here. But for reals, this was a last minute trip for all of us. We’ve been dutifully putting away $20/day since we decided to go that fateful night in July (We have each saved $1080), but we still need to reign in our spending while on the road to make sure we don’t run out of gas in Calgary.
- PLAN IT OUT: Fueling up at truck stops tend to be cheaper than the one off gas stations in small towns. Right now, I’m plotting out affordable gas stations on our trip…. Noting that in the rocky mountains, there is no escaping high prices. Also, I’ll be using www.transcanadahighway.com to help plan where the cheapest gas can be found along the way!
- Get CREATIVE: We traded in our CC points we’ve wracked up for gas cards or VISA gift cards that we plan to use on the road for fueling up (SO CLEVER)
- DRIVE EFFICIENTLY: Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33% at highway speeds and by 5% around town.
- AVOID FAST FOOD: Ash won’t eat fast food. This is awesome for our budget… unless we blow it all on fancy coffee (SEE HERE). Buying groceries for car snacks and making meals at a roadside picnic table is WHERE IT’S AT!! Not only is fast food bad for you after sitting all day in a car, it’s also so expensive!!
- PLAN IT OUT: Being prepared with snacks is important. When hungry.. bad and expensive decisions can be made. We plan on healthy nuts, fruits and granola to help us get between meals!
- AIRBNB: We are staying in some neat spots (stay tuned) for less than a hotel.
- BUNK WITH FRIENDS: We are also staying with friends, family and family of friends at a few stops! A great way to visit and spend time with people while keeping accommodation costs low. In exchange for our shelter, we will be bartering some yoga for our friends and family who have welcomed us into their homes!
- DEALS!!! Jordana found a sweet deal on audible.com and we bought like hours and hours of books on “tape” for less than $0.99 each!
- GROUPONS: Searching out groupon deals for some of the tourist attractions that we want to see and restaurants we want to try! We have a groupon for a bowling ally in Winnepeg… right?!?! Also for gondola rides in Whistler, Spas in Banff and I remain hopeful that the Royal Canadian Mint will offer up a Groupon soon….